Chief Pipeline Inspector Certification
The competent inspection of new pipeline construction projects in North America requires the assessment and monitoring of several craft and specialized project verification activities. The proper and effective management of these inspection activities require individuals with a wide knowledge base, practical pipeline construction and inspection experience and proven organizational and management skills. The evaluation and certification of Chief Pipeline Construction Inspectors requires both an assessment of an individual’s experience and their knowledge. Applicants for this certificate will be required to provide a detailed resume and complete a written code and theory examination. Unsuccessful applicants will be provided a detailed assessment identifying the recommended steps to achieve the certification.
Each new application is valid for a period of 180 days commencing on the date of the first examination completed by the applicant. Upon expiry, if the applicant has been unsuccessful in obtaining the requested certification, a re-submission is required c/w new application and fee.
- Examination dates:
- Examinations are conducted on predetermined dates at locations chosen from the published list. Special arrangements can be made for alternate times and locations, however additional fees may apply.
- Exams may be rescheduled up to three (3) days in advance without penalty. Rescheduling within three days is considered a missed exam and is subject to an additional fee.
- If you miss a scheduled exam, a $50.00 fee will be charged to re-schedule.
- Applicants are required to comply with all examination rules. Examination rules are provided with confirmation of exam date. CPAC reserves the right to cancel any applicant’s exam results and withhold certification if non-compliances are discovered.
- Exam results are emailed approximately 2-4 weeks after completion of the examination.
- CPAC does not identify failed exam questions to the applicant. An email identifying an exam failure may identify a general area of concern if failed questions appear to have a trend or focus. (eg. “A weakness in understanding of regulatory requirements is observed.”)
- Applicants with acceptable submissions and examination results will be granted certification. Applicants who have successful exam results with incomplete or deficient application evidence will not be granted certification until all outstanding issues are resolved. Exam results will be issued.
- An official parchment certificate and wallet card will be mailed approximately 1-2 weeks after the Certification has been granted.
- Certifications are valid for the edition of the Code of Construction identified on the certificate. Certified inspectors are required to update their certification to a new Code of Construction within one (1) year of publication. (eg. Certificates for Inspectors certified to the CSA Z662-11 code were valid for 365 days past the publication of the 2015 edition of the Z662)
- Re-certification requires Inspectors to complete a one (1) hour code update exam after which certificates and wallet cards will be re-issued identifying the new code edition.
- In addition to successful completion of an invigilated examination, applicants are required to provide evidence of meeting the following minimum criteria for certification.
Qualification and Experience Required for Chief Pipeline Inspector Certificate Application
|Qualifications||Subject Matter Expertise Evidence (resume)||Experience Years||Experience Type||Application|
|QC Inspector||Organizational skills
|6 years||Pipeline Inspection|
|API 1169 Construction Inspector *||4 years|
*Applicants for a Canadian Chief Inspector’s Certificate using an ICP issued API 1169 certificate, must include a copy of their examination marks and evidence of Canadian code qualification and training. Applicants with marks below 80% will be required to write a Canadian API 1169 update exam in conjunction with their Chief Inspector Exam.
*Applicants for a US Chief Inspector’s Certificate using an ICP issued API 1169 certificate must include a copy of their examination marks. Applicants with marks below 80% will be required to write a US API 1169 update exam in conjunction with their Chief Inspector Exam.